Feb 17, 2013

Utterly Deadly Southern Pecan Pie

It's out of season, kind of, but then again, pecan pie is always delicious.  I got this recipe from my grandmother, Lula. Born in 1916 and still kicking.

Turned out perfectly
Finished pie

Utterly Deadly Southern Pecan Pie

Makes two pies in standard size crusts (not deep dish)

1 c sugar
1 1/4 c corn syrup (light)
Melt on stove until mixture is just boiling.
Remove mixture from stove and let cool, but not solidify.
Carefully add in 4 beaten eggs (if not done carefully, you'll have scrambled eggs in sugar syrup.)
Add to egg and syrup mixture: 1/2 stick butter, pinch salt, 1 generous teaspoon vanilla.
Add 1 1/2 c pecans. (I usually add more. Until it looks ~full~.)
Cook at 325F for 40ish minutes.
Sweet
Sugar and corn syrup prior to going on stove. Don't think about the calories.
Melted sugar
Melted sugar in the corn syrup. This part feels like a science experiment.
Egg drop pie
Adding eggs to the syrup mixture. I still don't have the hang of tempering, so it often ends up with these scrambled egg bits in it. Don't worry - once it's cooked up, you won't notice and neither will anyone you serve it to.
Ready for the oven
Ready for the oven. The baking sheet isn't necessary, it just makes getting the pies in and out of the oven easier.
Ready to bake, close-up
Close-up before baking. You can see I added chocolate chips to this pie. Not unacceptable, but I think it's overkill. Haven't done it again.
Whoops, spillage
Baked! The baking sheet did that warp and pop thing in the over and the pie on the right was a bit overfull, so I had some nice burnt-on spillage. It took me several scrubbings with chemicals that guarantee I'll have two headed babies, but I got it clean eventually.



No comments:

Post a Comment